Ryan Andrews and Carey Leigh Phillips, wellness team members, recently shared a presentation to Givens Estates residents on staying healthy through the holidays. Below is an excerpt from their presentation. Enjoy!
The holidays are full of spending time with those we love, creating new memories, and enjoying a holiday meal together. Though this year’s meal may look a little different (sitting six-feet away from your loved ones), many will still sit and enjoy a meal together one way or another. For those wanting to ward off the high calories and fat that typically accompany the holiday meal, consider incorporating these tips into your holiday meal routine.
- Be prepared – Decide in advance how you want to spend your calories.
- Add mood boosting food to your shopping list – Chickpeas, lentils, beans, mixed nuts, berries, leafy greens, whole grains, lean red meat, salmon, tomatoes and baked beans.
- Eat a high protein breakfast
- Eat your vegetables first
- Drink a glass of water before you sit down to eat
- Eat the foods you love. Don’t eat food just because it is a holiday food
- Enjoy dessert, but only eat a small bite of each
- Avoid the food coma. Take a brisk 15-20 minute walk after your meal.
- Ditch the guilt. If you over eat during the holidays. Work to get back on track without beating yourself up.
If you would like to learn more about how Givens Estates supports residents with health and wellness goals, please contact us at 828-771-2203 or [email protected].